Sunday, August 16, 2015

Pickin' On Series

My first encounter with the Pickin' On series was the Iron Horse cover of Modest Mouse's Float On. Actually, I think that was the first time I heard Float On. When I listened to the original later, I just couldn't like it as much as the first time I heard it, though it was still a good song. Later, I heard the cover by Iron Horse again and realized the version I had been searching for.

Iron Horse - Float On

I would later come to realize that this was part of a larger series of "Pickin' On" albums when, looking up Greensky Bluegrass on YouTube, the search results threw Green Day Bluegrass at me and I couldn't not click it.

Done by Honeywagon and Cornbread Red, Green Day Bluegrass - Pickin' On Green Day - A Bluegrass Tribute turned out to be an amazing transition of genres, begging me to look deeper.

As it turns out, there's actually quite a list of "Pickin' On" albums.

From Wikipedia:

The series is produced by CMH Records, an independent country and bluegrass label based out of Los Angles. The series began in 1990, when the founder of CMH died and his son took over, though it did not take off until the success of Pickin' On the Grateful Dead three years later. 

It's incredible how talented the musicians involved with the project are, stripping down and reconstructing songs from a wide range of sounds to fit into the bluegrass genre with such a smooth transition that has a quality to it that can't really be described.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

American Idiot 

Paradise City

Here Without You

I'd totally post more songs from this series, but there's just so many good ones so just go check them out yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment