Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Interview With Jonny "Swagger" Natale of Tail Light Rebellion

Today, I'm talking with Jonny "Swagger" Natale of east coast folk punk/mixed genre group, Tail Light Rebellion. (See interview with Jessica Pietrzykowski of Tail Light Rebellion)


How long have you been doing music, and how did Tail Light Rebellion come to be? 

I've been doing music since I was about 14 or so (1994... hahahah) - I started working intensely on computer based music the second I discovered a music tracking program called Scream Tracker 3 - Based off the old Amiga Computer music tracking programs. I was regularly churning out industrial / goth / early techno / dark rock enough to earn the nick name "Poor Man's Trent Reznor" in highschool. Even wrote a zinearticle about an introduction to electronic music at one point. My hometown had precious few musicians at the time - at the end of the day, all I wanted was a band - howevr I'm grateful for the early computer experience, because ultimately it is what lead me to becoming a recording/mixing/mastering engineer, and producer. 

Tail Light Rebellion came to be after my long running band, The Swaggerin' Growlers, blew apart - there was a major falling out with the long running drummer, and every attempt at keeping it alive after we parted ways just didn't work. Bandaid on a few dozen bullet holes. Not knowing what to do with myself, I improvised a one man band setup, and kept playing; It's all I know how to do, to be honest. First under Jonny Swagger, but honestly that didn't feel right for many reasons. So I took the John Darnielle approach and created a band name. The name Tail Light Rebellion came from a combination of two things: The opening lines of one of my favorite New Model Army song, Vagabonds ("We followed the tail lights out of a city, moving in a river of red") that our good friends Mischief Brew were covering at the time. So as an ode to them, I combined Tail Light with the proto Mischief Brew project's name, Kettle Rebellion - Making Tail Light Rebellion. 



Honestly, Erik and Denise were insturmental in this project happening, as was my good friend, Griffin Sullivan. The first album was mixed down between Erik and Denise's old house, the Fistolo Records headquarters, in Upper Darby, PA, as well as Griffin's old place in Morrisville, PA. Without either of their support and encouragement, this project would not exist, and I stand by that.house in Upper Darby, PA, as well. 

Also, the first time Tail Light Rebellion played out was at a folk festival in Quebec, called Fabuleux Festival International du Folk Sale, at the campsites, in 2013. This was due to the encouragement of Fred Simard (yes, the Legendary Fred Simard, off of Six Strings and Gasoline) - who not only bought my ticket to the festival, but encouraged me to bring my new one man band setup.



How would you describe your sound?

Folk with a rock and roll problem. Rustbelt Roots and soul. Whatever style moves me at the time. We have everything from funk and reggae to 50s and 60s rock and blues, appalacha, bluegrass, Klezmer, and Slavic, all sung with an Irish lilt because that's just how I learned to sing and started very Irish folk influenced. 

Who or what would you say are some of your biggest influences? 

The obvious: Mischief Brew(One intervew even went so far as to say I went Erik Petersen with my sound), World / Inferno Friendship Society, The Pogues, Billy Bragg Less obvious: .357 String Band / Joseph Huber / Derek W Dunn / Jake Orvis and the Broken Band, Steering Ships with Empty Bottles (S.S. WEB) New Model Army, Stan Rogers, Gaslight Anthem, Jason Isbell obscure: Alt Hip hop for DAYS, son. Spanning from POS, Dessa, and the rest of the Doomtree artists, Atmosphere, Dem Atlas, Prof, Brother Ali and the rest of the Rhymesayers artists 



You seem to frequently be busy touring. What are some of your favorite places you've ever visited on tour? Venue or otherwise. Or both. 

The Celt Pub in Idaho Falls, because it's always a wild dance party. Without fail. Twerking, bouncing around, you name it. Also, we almost always run into crews of forest fire fighters and believe you me, they know how to party. The Westport Saloon in Kansas City, because it's the best honkey tonk in America. People are always enthusiastic, and Travis Fields is honestly one of the best Venue owners I've met doing this. The Nakato in Mankato, Minnesota - I feel like we're playing a family gathering in the best way possible there. Our friend Kate's family lake house on Bob's Lake in Ontario - Kate is one of our favorite humans, and the ability for folks like us to actually decompress somewhere absolutely beautiful I will be forever grateful for. I miss the old East Coast punk scene, but it is long, long gone. Gentrification is the joykiller. 

What's the craziest story you have from playing a show? 

Jesus. I'm fortunate enough to live a less than boring life. I've had Erik (Petersen) hop up on stage with me to cover a Billy Brag's a New England, played the wild party that is World Inferno's Hallowmass, Basement shows where I've booted a White Supremist in the face while on stage, someone got railed on the pool table during our set, another time someone got railed on the couch. Hell, one time someone went through a window during a house show in Greenville, NC. One time in Tupalo someone started a bar fight and got his 250lb ass tazed and dragged out of the bar. If I thought about this any longer, charges might be filed. I am clearly avoiding any of the mischief that I've managed to get myself into, but catch me post show some time and you might get to hear some of the more ridiculous stories that don't need to be on the internet at this time. 



What else do you get into when you're not doing music? 

Spare time...? what's that? Huge gym rat, it's one of the only places I get to crawl into my headphones and enjoy it. Bicycling and hiking, with a side of writing in dive bars. 

What is planned for the immediate future for Tail Light Rebellion? 

New music or shows on the way? NEW ALBUM IN SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER. Just need to finish tracking vocals and lead guitar, and mix it down - already have the settings templated. In fact, I think I might put up a teaser track to share with a few folks. And then? Tour far and wide. we're already on a handful of festivals in 2020, looking to add more and more. Breaking into Canada more, hopefully Europe. No rest for the utterly passionate and dedicated. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity to ramble.

So go check out the music now!

1 comment:

  1. Fuckin love you, Swagger. You motivate me everyday. DO THE TEASER TRACK!

    ReplyDelete